We are currently recruiting for a permanent full-time Lead Machinist in our Rapid Tool & Development Centre. This position is a great fit for someone who loves to machine unique prototypes, work on Mazak lathes (using Mazatrol programming, and work in a small team environment where mentoring is valued. If you are a creative & “how can we get this done” kind of person, then please read on …
Primary role focus is: ensuring prototype or specialty parts are produced within specified delivery date and to high quality standards.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- Programming and setup of Mazak lathes & mill
- Programming and setup of Weiler lathe
- Assist Machine Shop Coordinator with scheduling of prototype parts in a timely and accurate fashion
- Mentor and develop machinists - ensure they are trained on latest tooling and machining techniques, and have the knowledge and training to perform 100% QA checks, including, dimensional inspection of parts, and recording any deviations
- Assisting in the ordering of machine shop tooling and supplies, as well as prototype parts from vendors as required
- Manage and monitor equipment maintenance
- Ensure compliance to API-Q1 / ISO 9001:2015 standards as it pertains to the machine shop
- Compliance with Packers Plus Health & Safety program
Experience and Skills
- 10 years machine shop experience required
- Oil & Gas machining experience. Having a background in threads or down-hole tools would be considered an asset.
- Must have Mazak Lathe experience with Mazatrol programming (1-2 years programming experience minimum). Weiler programming experience would be considered an asset.
- Experience with live tooling (lathe)
- Experience running a variety of other CNC / manual machines an asset.
- Experience with QA principles (measurements) and all forms of measure equipment.
- Experience with API-Q1 / ISO 9001:2015 standards an asset.
Education and Training
- Red Seal Machinist or Technologist preferred. Will accept applications from candidates with extensive related experience in lieu.
- Forklift Training (or willingness/ability to be trained)
- First Aid Certification (or willingness/ability to be trained)
- Overhead crane training (or willingness/ability to be trained)
- Basic supervisory knowledge
- Action oriented
- Remains calm under pressure
- Relationship building
- Conceptual thinking
- Time management
- Mechanical aptitude
- Leveraging technology
- Knowledge of machining practices and procedures
- Proficiency with reading and understanding machining blueprints
Physical and Safety Requirements
- Lifting/carrying up to 50 lbs
- Subject to post-incident and reasonable-cause drug & alcohol testing
- Position is Safety Sensitive and subject to a pre-employment medical assessment and drug & alcohol testing
Fine Print & Fun Stuff !
Our machine shop is located in a facility with bright, natural light. No dark dingy shop atmosphere here! This is not a production environment (that’s located next door), so the successful candidate will be working on a variety of prototypes, while interacting with the designers.
The ability to build relationships is key, as this role will interact with not only the shop employees, but the office staff (engineers, designers, etc) as well. This role will be expected to work overtime during the busy season and is sometimes required with little notice.
Packers Plus is a great place to work! You’ll find a relaxed, family atmosphere, with terrific people to work with every day. We offer a great Total Rewards including competitive wages, an excellent benefits program, RRSP matching, an onsite state-of-the art gym and a great working environment.
Build your future with Packers Plus … driving cutting edge technology and industry leading innovation.
No phone calls please.